Social Icons

twitterfacebookgoogle pluslinkedinrss feedemail

Thursday, August 22, 2013

A Journey Through The Mystical Alleys of Varanasi



Varanasi is one of the most talked about cities in India when it comes to religious portrayal of our nation.  Being an atheist I rarely fantasize visiting a city crammed with temples (yes! You will find almost every alley/street/colony to be having a temple of its own). Now, me being an avid traveller, even thinking of going to such a place creeps me out. Varanasi as such also, is not much popular for tourist destination as it is popular for being the most important pilgrimages of the Hindu religion.  A few months back I got an opportunity to explore Varanasi and get face to face with the diversities in religion and culture of this city. It took me these many days to actually to let the whole visit completely seep in, and now i find myself able to do justice, on writing my experience about it.


To start with, I was most curious about visiting the sacred “Ghats”. My perception of the city changed only after spending a considerable time in the various Ghats, and continued to be changed as I moved along. There are many Ghats in the mystical land, and amongst them I found people, Sadhus (Sages) and Aghoris (Cannibals) who had such a different view of karma, kismet and life in whole. It was astounding and shocking at the same time. In some way or the other, the small alleys with old architecture, some in ruins and some newly painted to hide the black patches that adorned the wall aided in the sages’ verdict and made me nod in unison. The colors of the city are unusually vibrant, not like that of Rajasthan, but a different colour. Yes, it is crimson and orange everywhere, making one see past the multi colour world of ambiguity, towards one for all and all for one concept.


One fine day I took my bike and started off to the Dashashwamedh Ghats of the river Ganges.  I started with this Ghat as it was close to where I was putting up and was quite famous for its Ganga Aarti, I was surprised with the number of foreign visitors I saw there. Talking to some revealed they came from countries like China, Japan the United States and many more. I understood only after some time why there were people from all over the world there. I visited Varanasi at a time when the largest peaceful gathering of the world “Kumbh” was concluding in Allahabad. This meant that religious Hindu devotees from all over India and people who believe had gathered after 12 years in Allahabad. It was quite spectacular, Sages with Trishuls/Kamandals and beads covered in ashesh from head to toe, sporting the saffron clothes, everything about the sight was mesmerizing and mystical.  Spending some quality time there I moved on to another Ghat of the river Ganges known as Assi Ghat to watch the Famous Ganga aarti in procession. 

 
The synchronization of the Mahants or Brahmins while performing the Aarti was just captivating. Charmed by the peaceful chants of the hymns and calmed with the soothing colour of saffron I couldn’t resist but to go for a boat ride in the calmness of the night. I concluded my trip with a box of “Besan Ke laddu” from the Bajrangbali Temple (I had to stand in a queue for almost an hour) and a stroll down the lane of the Banaras Hindu University.

Know More About the City and what it has to offer, Travel to Varanasi with attractive packages from www.yatra.com  
P.S: All the Photographs are Clicked by Me

P.P.S: for good read visit Puk The World.


No comments: